Our lab has been actively involved in a group of long-term collaborative projects with several national and international research laboratories, working on synthesis, characterization, and application of smart nano-biomaterials for diverse biomedical applications. We have been mainly interested in exploring the use of super paramagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles (SPIONs) in imaging (as contrast agent), antibacterial applications, and drug delivery. Current works include:
Study effect of sex (gender) on the interaction between cells and nanoparticles - Examining how such gender-specific interactions would influence therapies for various diseases such as cancer.
The use of conductive nanoparticles in 3D printing of cardiac tissues to enhance electrical conductivity.
Role of sex in cellular uptake of nanoparticles as an overlooked factor in nanobio interface
(reconstructed from Serpooshan et al., ACS Nano 2018).
protein corona formation
tissue engineering scaffolds
Selected publications related to this project
- A.A. Saei, M. Yazdani, S.E. Lohse, Z. Bakhtiary, V. Serpooshan, ..., M. Mahmoudi, Nanoparticle surface functionality dictates cellular and systemic toxicity. Chemistry of Materials, 29, 6578-95, 2017.
- S. Behzadi, V. Serpooshan, ..., O.C. Farokhzad, and M. Mahmoudi. Cellular uptake of nanoparticles: journey inside the cell. Chemical Society Reviews, 46, 4218-44, 2017.
- M. Mahmiudi, ..., D. Bernstein, P. Ruiz-Lozano, and V. Serpooshan. Infection-resistant MRI-visible scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. Bioimpacts, 6, 111-20, 2016.
- V. Serpooshan, M. Mahmoudi, ..., D. Bernstein, Y.J. Woo, and P. Ruiz-Lozano. Protein corona influences cell–biomaterial interactions in nanostructured tissue engineering scaffolds. Advanced Functional Materials, 25, 4379-89, 2015.
- M.J. Hajipour, ..., V. Serpooshan, S. Laurent, and M. Mahmoudi. Personalized disease-specific protein corona influences the therapeutic impact of graphene oxide. Nanocale, 7, 8978-94, 2015.
- V. Serpooshan, ..., D. Bernstein, J.C. Wu, P. Ruiz-Lozano, and J. Rajadas. [Pyr1]-Apelin-13 delivery via nano-liposomal encapsulation attenuates pressure overload-induced cardiac dysfunction. Biomaterials, 37, 289-98, 2015.
- S. Behzadi, V. Serpooshan, ..., D. Crespy, and M. Mahmoudi. Protein corona change the drug release profile of nanocarriers: the “overlooked” factor at the nanobio interface. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 123, 143-49, 2014.
- R. Sakhtianchi, ..., A.M. Alkilany, V. Serpooshan, and M. Mahmoudi. Exocytosis of nanoparticles from cells: role in cellular retention and toxicity. Advances in colloid and interface science, 201, 18-29, 2013.
- M. Mahmoudi, V. Serpooshan, M.A. Shokrgozar, G.U. Nienhaus, and W.J. Parak. Temperature: the “ignored” factor at the nanobio interface. ACS Nano, 7, 6555-62, 2013.
- M.J. Hajipour, ..., T. Rojo, V. Serpooshan, W.J. Parak, and M. Mahmoudi. Antibacterial properties of nanoparticles. Trends in biotechnology, 30, 499-511, 2012.
- M. Mahmoudi and V. Serpooshan. Silver-coated engineered magnetic nanoparticles are promising for the success in the fight against antibacterial resistance threat. ACS Nano, 6, 2656-64, 2012.
- M. Mahmoudi and V. Serpooshan. Large protein absorptions from small changes on the surface of nanoparticles. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 115, 18275-83, 2011.
- M. Mahmoudi, V. Serpooshan, and S. Laurent. Engineered nanoparticles for biomolecular imaging. Nanoscale, 3, 3007-26, 2011.